Full Tummy

Come join me in seeing and tasting food the way I do, take a sniff with me and enjoy the flavors like I do.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Guilt-Free Banana Bread

So I have said it a million times - I am a health-izer! I try to make every recipe healthy. To me the nutritional value of food takes higher priority over its presentation. For example, I wont add 1/2 a cup of oil to give a glossy-separated look, when only a tablespoon is enough.

So here is yet another of my own recipes. This time, a baked goody. The classic banana nut bread. Believe it or not.. it has no extra fat added to it!!! So it is as healthy as it can get. Also, I have fortified it with more fiber, by adding some whole wheat flour (sometimes I add oat flour instead).

This is a guilt-free dessert you can have to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings. I bake it once every few weeks and take it along with me for breakfast.


Guilt-free Grainy Banana Bread with Nuts and Raisins

This is my submission for Saffron Trail's WBB# 7: Baking for Breakfast

4 egg whites
1+ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour OR oat flour [i use whole oats that i ground in my coffe grinder to make a flour out of it - use 1 cup whole oats to get 3/4 cup oat flour]
3/4 cup sugar
3 very ripe bananas, well-mashed
1.5 tspn baking powder
1 tspn salt
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1/2 cup black raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x5 bread loaf shaped pan with oil/butter/. This is the only fat that goes into the recipe.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites using a whisk / electric mixer. Add bananas to this and mix again.
3. Add sugar, baking powder, salt - mix well.
4. Add white flour, whole wheat/ oat flour. Stir well with spatula till all the batter is wet, dont over stir.
5. Stir in raisins and nuts
4. Pour this batter into the loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for around 50 minutes to an hour. Test with toothpick for checking if ready.
5. Run edges with a knife and take the loaf out on a cooling rack. Let sit for 10 minutes.
6. When not hot to touch, slice the bread. I put each slice into individual sandwich ziplocs, for easy portability to work for breakfast each week day!


Grainy Banana Bread with nuts and raisins

5 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Foodie's Hope said…

    Love Banana bread and muffins and you name it:D Looks great!

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Jayashree said…

    Looks real good!!!

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Shankari said…

    I love banana bread and guilt free is a must try!
    You can blogroll me for sure & thanks for asking!

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Brindha said…

    looks yummy! love it as its healthy.
    surely will try it!
    Thanks.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are the nutritional values in this recipe?

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home