Full Tummy

Come join me in seeing and tasting food the way I do, take a sniff with me and enjoy the flavors like I do.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Eggplant Raita

Eggplants have hardly any nutritional value. They are low in calories, and in fat, and in sodium. They have not much vitamin content, some cancer fighting minerals in under-decent quantity. Not a major source of protein either. If you take the skin off the eggplant, there is hardly any fiber content to boast about either.

Having said all of this, we still happen to like eggplants. A lot. Here is one of our favorite ways to cook eggplant.

Eggplant Raita

1 big eggplant
pinch of hing
1 tspn jeera
1 tspn rai (smaller mustard seeds)
1/2 tspn urad dal
1/4 tspn chana dal
7-8 curry leaves
3 green chilles
1/2 onion - finely chopped
chopped cilantro
2 cups yogurt
1 tablespoon canola oil

1. Roast baingan like for baingan bharta. I do this in my oven at 450 degrees F. I rub a teaspoon of oil on the eggplant's skin, and put it on a foil-lined tray for around an hour, turning once in between.
2. When done, peel and take the inside stuff out, mash it. I also use any water that got drained from inside the eggplant, adds to the flavor.
3. In oil add tadka of hing, jeera, rai, urad dal, curry leaves, chana dal, chopped green chilles
4. Mix the the tadka in dahi. Add mashed baingan to dahi too. Add salt.
5. Add finely chopped onions for crunch. Add chopped dhaniya.
6. Mix and serve as a thick raita.

Eggplant Raita

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home